Madeley Tidy Group
Minutes of Committee Meeting on 16th March 2015
Present: Andy Capewell; Roy Dutton; Chris Machin; Terry Edmonds; Mary Edmonds; Anne Shaw; Chris Wright; John Berrington; Ricki Williamson; Maria Tomlinson.
Apologies: Sue Machin; Isobel Hughes.
Minutes of last meeting on 2nd February 2015 accepted as a true record; proposed by Roy Dutton; Seconded by Chris Wright.
Chris welcomed Maria Tomlinson to the group.
Matters Arising: None
Treasurers Report: Balance as at 27 Feb 2015 £765-54. Since then a grant of £400 has been received from the Community Chest. The evaluation report from the Borough Council requires plans for spending the grant.
PR & SPONSORSHIP REPORT: Chris Machin reported that he had opened a community group page on Facebook under Madeley Tidy Group. The community group aspect hopefully means that anyone can view it; it’s open to everyone on Facebook & not just people who have been invited. Chris would welcome any advice regarding Facebook and content. Members are welcome to contribute articles for publication, especially photographs as it is a very visual medium. Chris also puts any general articles about groups in Madeley on the site so that it is of interest to anyone who’s interested in Madeley – so please submit these as well. And spread the word!
The Conservation Group Newsletter has just been published, thank you to Chris Wright for his article about Madeley Tidy Group.
Andy Capewell is working on a recruiting leaflet for the group; he has produced a couple of examples and hopefully we can go to print in the near future. Andy will e-mail out the new draft copy to everyone for approval / feedback.
GARDENING REPORT: Gardening started in the village at the beginning of March.
Due to the mild winter the weeds have been growing very energetically!
The roses in The Greyhound Bed have been removed and we are looking at some autumn and winter colour to replace them; these will be paid for as part of the Community Chest grant of £400 we have received, along with payment for the geraniums and replacing the old rose bushes in The Vicarage Lane Bed.
John & Lynda Berrington have purchased a new sturdy plastic barrel for Poolside and replanted it up.
Working on one bed per week as a group seemed to be successful last year and, if everyone is in agreement with it, we will continue with the same arrangement this year?
Litter Picking: Streetscene have cleared the two areas at Keele & Madeley Heath that Sue & Chris reported to them: if you see any litter build up, please report it to them on 01782-742500 or Streetscene@newcastle-staffs.gov.uk
Future Plans: Build-up of litter in the weir area. Suggested that a litter bin could be moved from the One Stop car park and relocated at the far end of the long trough to try and stop litter being thrown into the weir.
ACTION: Chris & Sue to contact Borough Councillors to see if this is possible.
The Long Trough project to be left on the agenda but no new trough for the time being; just patch the existing trough up.
ACTION: Roy to try and repair it.
Bug Houses for the beds to be left on the agenda and possibly sited in the autumn.
Communities Day; Friday, June 5th; tackle the himalyan balsam again;
ACTION; Sue & Chris to contact NUL BC to advise them and try and arrange a pick up to transport it away; also contact local like-minded groups to see if they can help.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS: Maria is undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh scheme and has chosen the Tidy Group as her volunteer project; this will last three months and she needs to undertake voluntary work for one hour per week. Anne Shaw has agreed to be her ‘mentor’ but if anyone has a project at the weekend or after 5.00pm on weekdays can they liaise with Anne to see if it would be suitable for Maria. The Tidy Group needs to help her as much as possible to reach her qualification.
Izaak Walton Bed needs to be worked on; discussed for this Thursday but no-one really available; more people free on Friday and so agreed to meet there at 2.00pm on Friday, March 20th. Apologies from Sue Machin.
Concern raised that the Pukka Pie sign belonging to the fish shop obscures the new barrel.
ACTION: John & Lynda Berrington will discuss with a Borough Councillor.
John Berrington reported a meeting with Councillor White and the Footpath Officer. If there are issues concerning footpaths and the maintenance of Rights of Way these can be reported to John.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 27th April 2015; 7.30 in the café area at The Madeley Centre.
Present; Apologies; Minutes of Previous Meeting; Matters Arising; Treasurers Report; PR & Sponsorship Report; ; Gardening Report; Litter Picks; Recycling; Future Plans; AOB; Date of Next Meeting.
- Tidy Group Minutes March 2015:
- Stand as a Local Parish Councillor
- Vicar’s Letter: March Parish Magazine
- Music for Memories
- Traffic Delays at the War Memorial A531/A525
- Madeley Centre Beer Festival: July 9th,10th,11th & 12th:
- Madeley Parish Council Budget consultation 2015-16
- Madeley Walk Number Six:
News Post Categories