Did You Know?
Historical Information Bites
This photograph from the early 1900’s shows the mill when it was used for grinding grain. Leaning against the annexe wall can be seen a millstone of approximately 5 feet diameter. The sluice is constructed from timber possibly from railway sleepers. Note the lack of housing in the background, this feature would not arrive until another 50 years had passed.
Did You Know? – Pre 19th Century
Heighley Castle once had a moat.
Heighley Castle was demolished by orders of the monarchy directly after the civil war.
Did You Know? – The 19th Century
In the 19th century Madeley wasn’t as heavily populated as it is today. More of the general area was being farmed.
In the 19th century the mill was being used for grinding flour.
In the 19th century there existed another flour mill in Wrinehill near to Grafton’s Wood named Furnace Mill.
In the 19th century the whole area was interspersed with gravel pits and quarries. Today, if we need materials for building houses etc. we have it delivered from the builders merchant. No such luxuries in 1891.
In 1891 Moss Lane was in existence, although at this time it would be 60 years before The Moss estate would be built.
In 1891 The Offley Arms had been built.
So was The Old Swan.
The London and North Western Railway company built what is known today as the west coast mainline on the outskirts of the village. There was even a mainline station built, with facilities for goods and even transportation of horse and carts by rail. Access was via Manor Road next to the footbridge.
The current footbridge is not the original, that was fifty metres further south inter-connecting the platforms on both sides of the track.
In 1891 the Crewe Arms Hotel was originally situated next to Madeley mainline station in Station Road. Wharf Terrace is home of the current Crewe Arms Hotel.
A minerals railway line was laid through Madeley Heath to serve the collieries and to connect to Audley. This required that a bridge be laid at the junction of Leycett Lane and Keele Road, with the line passing under the road.
There was a Wesleyian chapel at the junction of Moss lane and Barhill Road by the railway bridge.
A Public house called the Greyhound Inn (the white building in the background) stood at the junction of New Road and Newcastle Road, where the notice board now stands. Presumably this is where Greyhound Court derived it’s name. Of interest is the photograph of this building shown in “Keele, Madeley and Whitmore, in old picture postcards. Barbara and Dennis Morris, Anthony and Joy Priestley, Roger Simmons and Edward Watkin. Brampton Publications 1990.
The Age of the Motor Car
Looking along Poolside toward The Holborn. Behind the young gentleman standing in the road can be seen the old post office. Through the trees on the right is The Vicarage. The car has wagon type spoke wheels the hood is the type that could be found on horse carriages of the day, and the rear light would have more than likely been powered by paraffin. The registration plate reads M1273. Everyone in this picture is wearing some kind of headwear. The boy on the left, the one behind the motor car and the young lad in the road all wear flat caps. The boy, second left and the girl in white both wear wide brimmed hats. Between the people in the centre of the photograph is a gentleman walking along The Holborn, he is wearing a bowler hat. All this would have been common practice in those times even though it is summer in this photograph. Another point worthy of note is the fact that the two boys on the left are playing on hobby horses, although the lad with the flat cap has no wheel on his!